The Music Never Stops on Bop... Until Now
A farewell message from the Bop.fm founders
TL;DR: the Bop.fm team has been acquired by LifeLock! Bop.fm has shut down as of 10/29/15 - read on to learn more.
Almost three years ago, we started Bop.fm with a goal to unite all the disparate streaming services into a cohesive platform, thus making life easier for music fans and those that serve them. We knew there would be challenges along the way, so we studied the stories of those who came before us and crafted a compelling value proposition for users, music services, artists, labels, and websites.
Since then, we've achieved some great milestones (as demonstrated in the video below):
- Integrating 15 of the largest music services in the world. For many of these services, Bop.fm was the first company to receive private API access, increased rate limits, affiliate relationships, or all of the above.
- Partnering with esteemed organizations such as Facebook, the Billboard + Twitter Trending 140 chart, The GRAMMYs, and Rap Genius.
- Adoption of our music player embed by leading publications like Complex, Pigeons & Planes, Dancing Astronaut, SPIN, and Huffington Post.
- Powering social media campaigns and music playback for major artists like Lil Wayne, Ariana Grande, Wiz Khalifa, Keith Urban, Snoop Dogg, Will.I.Am, and Jason Mraz.
- Reaching over 9 million diehard music lovers per month - users who are passionate about having all of their music easily accessible in one place and easily shareable with others.
While proud of what our small team has accomplished in a short period of time, we realized that we still had a long way to go to unify the ever-evolving digital music landscape. Building out a central destination for consumers can be very expensive and require hundreds of millions of dollars in funding, in an industry fraught with monetization concerns. As we considered the future direction of the company, we debated the tradeoffs between doubling down on a risky endeavor versus aligning ourselves with more promising opportunities that had presented themselves.
Today, we're excited to announce that the Bop.fm team has been acquired by LifeLock! LifeLock is a leading provider of identity protection services for consumers and consumer risk management services for enterprises. Our team will apply our consumer product DNA to help enhance the services that LifeLock delivers to millions of customers - we can't wait to show you what we have in store.
As our team focuses on this exciting new opportunity, the Bop.fm website, mobile app, and embeds will be shut down as of October 31, 2015. Users should have received a separate email that contains their playlist data.
We'd like to thank all of our users, partners, and friends for their valuable feedback and unflinching support as we've taken this journey together. To learn more or contact us with questions, please email info [at] bop [dot] fm.
Shehzad and Stefan, Bop.fm co-founders